Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Blog Hop Interview for KidLit/ YA Authors

I'm blog hopping today! Well, actually, I'm hosting the kid lit/ YA blog hop today - thanks to author Aviva Orr for tagging me last week in the hop! Aviva is the author of the fabulous YA debut novel The Mist on Bronte Moor which was just released in January 2013. If you are a fan of the Bronte sisters and their work, you won't want to miss this one. For the next stop on the hop, I've tagged YA Stephanie Keyes, author of The Star Child series, who will answer her questions next week. It's a great way to get to know other authors and their writing process. Check out what Aviva and Stephanie have to say about their writing.

What are you working on right now?
I've got a few projects in the works right now - polishing up a picture book, revising an early middle grade contemporary, and starting a middle grade mystery. Since I'm also a nonfiction author, I've also got a few nonfiction projects in the works as well. I think I'm never happy unless I'm juggling several things!

How does your writing process work?
I've discovered through trial and error that I'm a planner. It takes me awhile to think through an idea - I usually start with a character that I love and immediately know their beginning and ending points. It's figuring out the middle and how they get to the end is what takes all the time for me!

What would you like to try as a writer that you haven't yet?
I would love to do a big YA adventure/thriller. That's the type of novel I absolutely love reading!

Who are the authors you most admire?
I'm a huge fan of Laurie Halse Andersen. She has done such a wide variety of projects - I love her historical fiction work in Chains and Forge (and I'm impatiently waiting for the third book in the trilogy). She also has really honest contemporary YA books in Speak and Wintergirls. Her ability to get inside her character's head in Wintergirls was incredible!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Carla. I so admire how you manage to juggle your nonfiction and fiction writing. You have produced so many amazing books--keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete