Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Pleasant Surprise

Last week, I opened the mailbox and pulled out a large envelope. I opened it to find this:




Two copies of the July 2013 Highlights magazine - with one of my articles inside!

I'd almost completely forgotten about this piece that Highlights had purchased from me a few years ago. I'd interviewed a fantastic young lady about the work she was doing to raise money for local charities that help kids with special needs. She had seen the remarkable work that therapists, teachers, and many others had done with her brother, who has cri du chat syndrome. Children with cri du chat can have problems understanding ideas and may have difficulty learning to talk. They may also have weak muscles that can cause problems walking or using their fingers.

Highlights accepted the article as part of their Gallant Kids feature. Because Highlights' policy is to pay authors on acceptance, the actual publication can be months or even years (in my case) after acceptance.

Which makes finding the finished article FINALLY in my mailbox - a nice surprise indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment